Friday, September 26, 2014

It's almost October by golly!

I can't believe how quick time flies! It's almost October and from there on out the rest of the year will become a blur.  Since school has started, I have never felt so busy and exhausted. Maybe it's because we no longer live across the street from the highschool and I now have to pick up CJ every day and two days a week she gets out at different times or that Xander is in soccer and scouts, or that Zoey is in kindergarten, gymnastics and dance, or that Mia is taking piano lessons now.

Whatever it is, I am so busy that the three hours that Zoey is gone feels like minutes. In my garage, pieces of furniture that need refinishing and painting remain untouched, books I swore I would read when the kids started school remain unread, or the genealogy I was going to do remains undone.

I do try to squeeze in some photography work here and there or a workout.  I do feel like I am in the car ALOT taking kids here or there. Mom Taxi. . . that phrase is so true!


CJ tried out for her first school play, although she didn't get the part I think she learned a lot and I hope she tries out for the spring play. I was so proud of her for trying. It takes a lot of courage to do what she did.

She also had a sad unforeseen loss in her life. Her friend from church, seminary and school passed away suddenly.  It was so so so sad.  It was amazing how the community came together to buoy up and support this family.  I know that there were many prayers on their behalf from friends, family and from people they didn't even know. CJ is doing well now, she had some rough days. It's been tough on all the youth in the stake.

I took his last professional pictures and I enlarged it and framed it for his family for the funeral. I was glad I was able to do something for the family because it breaks my heart. My heart aches for them. I love photography for many reasons but one of the biggest reasons why I love it, is being able to capture a moment. Moments come and go and they are never the same.  When you take a picture you capture that moment which will never happen again. And then with that picture, you can enjoy and relive that moment again and again and again. His mother, my friend, appreciated this gift because as she said, this is how she will always remember him. . . alive. Ironically, the outfit that I photographed him in was the one he was buried in. Photography brings me happiness and I am so happy that it can also bring peace and comfort to my friends.


Mia is taking piano lessons right now.  I love having a piano! It's great because Mia comes home and teaches Xander and Xander teaches Zoey. Her anxiety causes some frustration but hasn't been an issue which I am so grateful for.


Xander is playing soccer right now and is a superstar. I am always amazed how talented he is on the field. He's not the fastest. He's not the most skilled. He's not aggressive. But there is something about him that makes him very successful on the field. He analyzes and anticipates his opponent's move. He also really uses his head thinking about the best place to throw in the ball or to kick it.  It's like if you have ever seen a show on TV where the person throughts are written on the screen. I can envision Xander's thought process all over the place with arrows, formulas, and foresight.


Zoey is doing dance and gymnastics and is loving kindergarten. In fact, the first day of school that I picked her up she was so mad at me because I wasn't picking up Xander and Mia as well.  That they got to stay longer. She wants to be a big kid so bad and do everything her siblings do. She loves doing gymnastics and dance.  I enjoy her so much! She is my sunshine and I like having time with just her before the big kids get home. She loves to read and be read to. 

We are enjoying our new home and it's feels like we have lived there longer than four months but that is all it's been. Life is good. So good!





2 comments:

Michael Family said...

This post was so wonderful. I love catching up with you. Wayne asked me, "If you could pick the most fun family to come visit us, who would it be?" And I said. "The Porters!" And he said, "Well, of course. Because the Porters are the most fun people we know." :)

Abby Watson said...

I love what you said about pictures capturing moments. Everyone seems so happy! I miss you all!