Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

This year, we decided that we would sign Xander and Mia up for softball and teeball.  I wanted them to have some experience playing on a team.  I was a little nervous for them both because I knew Mia has some frustrations with anything competitive and Xander has the tendency to shut down because he won't communicate with others if something is bothering him.

Photobucket

Despite my concerns, everything turned out great!  Mia, as I expected struggled at the beginning and there were tears but as the season went on, she adjusted.  Her teammates were amazing and would comfort her if she was frustrated and upset.  Pretty soon, there were no more tears and only fun!  She began to have confidence in herself and her abilities.  I was super proud of her.

Photobucket

Her favorite positions were catcher and first base.  At this level, first base is the hot spot where all the action takes place.  It was so fun to see her get someone out at first!

Photobucket

It is crazy how expensive this sport can be and we tried to keep it to a minimum by buying equipment at yard sales and the thrift store.  I didn't want to invest in a sport that would only be played for one year.  Turns out, I think Mia will be playing again!!

Photobucket

Xander's little team was so fun to watch.  A parent stepped up at the beginning when they were trying to get coaches and were short.  She kept the kids together.  A few kids dropped out at the beginning leaving 9 kids. Most of the teams they played had 12 or more players.

Photobucket

Xander was so cute in his uniform.  It was almost just worth it to get him into a uniform!  He worked at fielding, catching and hitting.

Photobucket

They played 17 games!  I enjoyed watching Xander play.  His favorite part was not the actual game but the snack that they got after the game!   I was also proud of him for not shutting down and for trying each game.

Photobucket

Towards the end of the season, Xander was losing momentum and motivation and I found him playing in the dirt more often.  I think the dirt was one of the most appealing things in this sport for some kids.  

Photobucket

I don't think I will sign up Xander next year but it was a great team experience for him.  I think the next thing we are going to try is Tae Kwan Do.  He is a little karate man at heart!

Photobucket

I actually learned alot about this sport and some of the rules and batting form that I had no idea about.  I loved that my kids had this opportunity but at the same time, I feel relived it is finally over!  We had 4 games a week for months!  

Photobucket

Bring on the summer!

No comments: